Bheri-Babai project share distribution modality finalized

Surkhet, November 10: The government has forwarded the process to establish a company to manage the powers to be generated from the national pride project Bheri-Babai Diversion Multipurpose. The company is going to be established following the scheme of people’s hydropower project ensuring the participation of people and the federal, state and local governments.

The company would be established with the model where 51 percent share would be managed from the government side while remaining 49 percent from the public. Similarly, of the total 51 percent, 26 percent share come from the federal government while 20 percent from Karnali state government and 5 percent from the local levels.

Similarly, of the total of 49 percent managed for locals, 10 percent will be provided to most affected locals, 10 percent to Karnali people and remaining 10 percent to those from across the country. While inspecting the project site, Minister for Energy, Water Resources and Irrigation Barsha Man Pun shared that the share was distributed with the aim of benefiting locals and the affected areas.

The national pride project will provide irrigation to 51,000 hectares of lands in Banke and Bardiya districts by channeling water from Bheri River to Babai River. The project produces 48 megawatts of electricity.