CEO Tab
  • Home
  • Prime News
  • International Market
  • Special Report
  • Corporate
  • Opinion
  • Next Gen
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
CEO Tab
  • Home
  • Prime News
  • International Market
  • Special Report
  • Corporate
  • Opinion
  • Next Gen
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
CEO Tab
No Result
View All Result
Home Prime News

Womad music festival 2021 canceled amid Covid-19 uncertainty

CEO Tab by CEO Tab
June 29, 2021
in Prime News
0
Womad

Womad was last held in 2019 - the 2020 event was cancelled due to the pandemic

75
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Womad music festival has been canceled “to guarantee its survival”, co-founder Peter Gabriel has announced.

You might also like

Government Suspends New Registration of Public Transport Vehicles Nationwide

Government Prioritizing Austerity Measures to Reduce Recurrent Expenditure

Over 74,000 Nepalis Obtained Foreign Employment Permits in Baisakh

Earlier this month, the former Genesis singer warned that the three-day event might not go ahead without government-backed insurance or test event status.

Confirming the cancellation, he said waiting for either would “put Womad’s long-term future at risk”.

The government said it was working towards live events being able to reopen fully from 19 July.

In a statement, Gabriel said the decision to cancel his world music festival, which was launched almost 40 years ago and attracts about 40,000 people each year, was made “with great regret”.

“We feel that our audience, artists, staff, and contractors, who have been amazingly supportive throughout all this, will understand the need for us to act to guarantee our survival,” he wrote.

There had been no clarity as to whether restrictions would be lifted on 19 July – three days before Womad was due to be held at Charlton Park, Wiltshire – despite several attempts to seek information, he said.

Gabriel said the decision to grant test event status to some festivals due to be held on the same 22-25 July weekend as Womad “clearly implies that only approved test events will be protected and guaranteed the right to go ahead as normal – even though this flies in the face of the Prime Minister’s statements”.

“We have not been asking for financial support; all we have wanted is certainty in the form of insurance against cancellation (that we’d be happy to pay for),” he wrote.

“We need an understanding of the realities of how our industry works and the benefits that we bring.

“The industry should see equal access to support and a much less opaque way of deciding who gets help.”

Mass events are currently scheduled to be allowed to take place from July 19 when coronavirus restrictions ease.

Share30Tweet19
CEO Tab

CEO Tab

Recommended For You

Government Suspends New Registration of Public Transport Vehicles Nationwide

by CEO Tab
May 22, 2026
0
DoTM

The Department of Transport Management has suspended the new registration of all public transport vehicles across the country. According to the department, the decision was taken in view...

Read more

Government Prioritizing Austerity Measures to Reduce Recurrent Expenditure

by CEO Tab
May 22, 2026
0
Finance_Ministry

The Ministry of Finance (MoF) has stated that the government is focusing on implementing austerity measures aimed at reducing the size of recurrent expenditure. Speaking at a meeting...

Read more

Over 74,000 Nepalis Obtained Foreign Employment Permits in Baisakh

by CEO Tab
May 22, 2026
0
Ten thousand foreign workers in Nepal, highest from China

The trend of Nepalis seeking employment abroad continued strongly in Baisakh (mid-April to mid-May), with 74,429 individuals receiving labour permits during the month, according to the Department of...

Read more

Nepal Has Over 144,000 Metric Tons of Chemical Fertilizers in Stock, Ministry Says

by CEO Tab
May 22, 2026
0
40,000 metric tonnes of fertilizer procured from China yet to arrive

The Ministry of Agriculture, Forest and Environment has announced that Nepal currently has 144,803.25 metric tons of chemical fertilizers in stock. Chief of the Agricultural Development Division and...

Read more

Buddha Air Suspends Nepalgunj–Pokhara Direct Flights Temporarily

by CEO Tab
May 20, 2026
0
Buddha Air holds 67 percent market

Buddha Air has temporarily suspended its direct flights between Nepalgunj and Pokhara, a service that had been operating for nearly five years. According to Buddha Air’s Nepalgunj Station...

Read more
Next Post
World Bank

WB warns banks in South Asia of a financial crisis

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Browse by Category

  • Corporate
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • International
  • Major Story
  • Next Gen
  • Opinion
  • Prime News
  • Special Report
  • Tete – A – Tete

EDITOR

Manish Raj Poudel
info@ceotab.com
9841317747


PUBLISHED BY

Welcome Group
www.welcomeadnepal.com

Publisher

www.ceotab.com is a premium news portal being run by Welcome Group. The website features quality business/economic news contents,  in-depth profiles of companies, stories of struggle and success of entrepreneurs, articles that assess various dimensions of  the commerce, trade and economy.

Editor

Manish Raj Poudel

info@ceotab.com

9841317747

Sub-Editor

Riza Poudel

poudelriza@gmail.com

Archives

© 2023 CEO Tab. All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Prime News
  • International Market
  • Special Report
  • Corporate
  • Opinion
  • Next Gen
  • Entertainment

© 2023 CEO Tab. All rights reserved.