CEO Tab
  • Home
  • Prime News
  • International Market
  • Special Report
  • Corporate
  • Opinion
  • Next Gen
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
CEO Tab
  • Home
  • Prime News
  • International Market
  • Special Report
  • Corporate
  • Opinion
  • Next Gen
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
CEO Tab
No Result
View All Result
Home Prime News

UK government calls for stars’ help on post-Brexit EU touring

CEO Tab by CEO Tab
June 30, 2021
in Prime News
0
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Stars like Sir Elton John should help the UK government persuade European Union countries to relax their rules on letting British musicians tour, Brexit minister Lord Frost has said.

You might also like

Buddha Air Suspends Nepalgunj–Pokhara Direct Flights Temporarily

Large Industries in Parsa Reluctant to Provide Data for Economic Census

Government Shortlists Four Candidates for SEBON Chairperson

British acts are no longer guaranteed visa-free travel in the EU and face large fees to tour in some countries.

Many, including Sir Elton, have warned the restrictions could “threaten the future success of British music”.

Lord Frost said the UK government would benefit from their assistance.

He said it would be “extremely helpful” if musicians and music industry bodies could “use their relationships” within the EU “to encourage those governments to be less restrictive”.

“I said that to Elton John and I will say it to others,” he told a committee of MPs on Tuesday. “We need that sort of help and support, and I’m convinced it would make a big difference to help improve the situation.”

Lord Frost was speaking to the House of Commons culture select committee, who had called him to give evidence on post-Brexit visa arrangements for workers in the creative industries.

Labour MP Clive Efford poured scorn on his suggestion, asking whether the UK government’s policy boiled down to “getting ambassadors to lobby [foreign governments] and asking Elton John to get his mates to ring people up?”

“I wouldn’t be so dismissive of such activity,” replied Lord Frost. “That is how you make things happen in diplomacy.”

In May, Sir Elton met Lord Frost to discuss the touring issue. Writing on Instagram, the pop legend said he had been told resolving the problem would be “a long process”.

“Unfortunately our industry doesn’t have time. It is dying now,” he said. “We are currently in grave danger of losing a generation of talent due to the gaping holes in the government’s trade deal.”

On Tuesday, Lord Frost pointed out that Sir Elton had not needed the freedoms afforded by the EU to make it big in the early 1970s.

“I can’t help noticing that he had his first hits before the UK even became a member of the European Union, so I think there’s probably more at play here than pure rules applying within the then-European Community,” he said.

“Talent is important, and that’s why we support our talented industries.”

He told MPs it was “impossible to be sure” whether the situation would improve soon “because so much depends on the course of the pandemic”.

However, he added that resolving the visa issues was “a major priority for us and we hope to be able to deliver some results during this year”.

Culture minister Caroline Dinenage added that visa-free touring is now possible in 17 EU countries, although MPs on the committee suggested the situation was not so simple – with each of those countries having individual rules.

The hearing came days after hundreds of musicians, including Radiohead, Little Mix, Wolf Alice, Niall Horan and Kano backed the Let the Music Move campaign, which is calling on the government to provide financial help and action on cutting red tape in the EU.

Responding to Lord Frost’s appearance, the group said it felt like the UK’s “world-beating music industry is being hung out to dry”.

“While we continue to suffer the catastrophic impacts of Covid, many are now in open despair at the government’s disturbing lack of urgency to address a range of Brexit-related bureaucracy and costs that will make EU touring almost prohibitively expensive and burdensome,” it said in a statement.

Share30Tweet19
CEO Tab

CEO Tab

Recommended For You

Buddha Air Suspends Nepalgunj–Pokhara Direct Flights Temporarily

by CEO Tab
May 20, 2026
0
Buddha Air holds 67 percent market

Buddha Air has temporarily suspended its direct flights between Nepalgunj and Pokhara, a service that had been operating for nearly five years. According to Buddha Air’s Nepalgunj Station...

Read more

Large Industries in Parsa Reluctant to Provide Data for Economic Census

by CEO Tab
May 20, 2026
0
Nepal’s Second Economic Census to Begin on March 15

The Statistics Coordination Office in Birgunj has reported difficulties in collecting the required data for the ongoing economic census from large industrial establishments in Parsa district. Chief of...

Read more

Government Shortlists Four Candidates for SEBON Chairperson

by CEO Tab
May 20, 2026
0
Sebon mulls over licensing a new stock exchange company

The government has shortlisted four candidates for the position of chairperson of the Securities Board of Nepal (SEBON), the country’s securities market regulator. According to the Ministry of...

Read more

Nepal Committed to FATF Grey List Removal, Says Finance Minister Dr Swarnim Wagle

by CEO Tab
May 20, 2026
0
Finance Minister Urges Calm as Nepal’s Stock Market Remains Stable

Finance Minister Dr. Swarnim Wagle has reaffirmed the Government of Nepal’s commitment to implementing all necessary measures to secure the country’s removal from the Financial Action Task Force...

Read more

Nepal Airlines’ Financial Crisis Deepens as Debt Burden Surges

by CEO Tab
May 18, 2026
0
Nepal Airlines to operate  daily flight in Kathmandu-Delhi route

The financial condition of state-owned Nepal Airlines Corporation has worsened significantly, with the national flag carrier facing mounting debt and growing concerns over its long-term sustainability. According to...

Read more
Next Post

International tourism not seen rebounding until 2023 - UN report

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Browse by Category

  • Corporate
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • International
  • Major Story
  • Next Gen
  • Opinion
  • Prime News
  • Special Report
  • Tete – A – Tete

EDITOR

Manish Raj Poudel
info@ceotab.com
9841317747


PUBLISHED BY

Welcome Group
www.welcomeadnepal.com

Publisher

www.ceotab.com is a premium news portal being run by Welcome Group. The website features quality business/economic news contents,  in-depth profiles of companies, stories of struggle and success of entrepreneurs, articles that assess various dimensions of  the commerce, trade and economy.

Editor

Manish Raj Poudel

info@ceotab.com

9841317747

Sub-Editor

Riza Poudel

poudelriza@gmail.com

Archives

© 2023 CEO Tab. All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Prime News
  • International Market
  • Special Report
  • Corporate
  • Opinion
  • Next Gen
  • Entertainment

© 2023 CEO Tab. All rights reserved.