CEO Tab
  • Home
  • Prime News
  • International Market
  • Special Report
  • Corporate
  • Opinion
  • Next Gen
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
CEO Tab
  • Home
  • Prime News
  • International Market
  • Special Report
  • Corporate
  • Opinion
  • Next Gen
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
CEO Tab
No Result
View All Result
Home Prime News

Government Drafts Guideline to Provide Collateral-Free Loans to Migrant Workers

CEO Tab by CEO Tab
July 7, 2025
in Prime News
0
Labor ministry begins discussion on labor migration policy
75
SHARES
1.3k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Ministry of Labour, Employment, and Social Security has prepared a draft guideline to provide collateral-free loans to Nepali migrant workers going abroad for employment.

You might also like

Government Suspends New Registration of Public Transport Vehicles Nationwide

Government Prioritizing Austerity Measures to Reduce Recurrent Expenditure

Over 74,000 Nepalis Obtained Foreign Employment Permits in Baisakh

The ministry has finalized the “Procedure for Providing Collateral-Free Loans to Nepali Workers Going for Foreign Employment, 2082”, which is now in its final stages, according to ministry officials. The drafting committee is led by Joint Secretary Jeevalal Bhushal, and includes representatives from the Nepal Rastra Bank, commercial banks, and the Ministries of Finance and Law.

Participants in recent discussions included Dev Kumar Rai from the Ministry of Finance and Saurabh Pokhrel from Nepal Rastra Bank. “We are holding the final round of talks with senior NRB officials,” said Bhushal. “Once the guideline is passed, the NRB will instruct commercial banks to implement it. Thus, NRB’s role will be crucial.”

The ministry plans to forward the draft to the Ministries of Finance and Law for approval once it is finalized. If they agree, it could be taken to the Cabinet for endorsement, though the ministry also has authority to approve such procedures independently.

According to ministry sources, the guideline proposes offering a minimum of NPR 200,000 in collateral-free loans for workers going to Gulf countries, and up to NPR 500,000 for those heading to Europe.

A stakeholder meeting on Sunday, chaired by Labour Minister Sharatsingh Bhandari, discussed the draft in detail. The minister emphasized that many workers are forced to borrow from predatory “meter interest” lenders at high rates, and that this procedure would free them from such exploitation by providing easy and secure access to institutional credit. “Once workers earn money abroad and return, they can repay the loan while still receiving state-supported social security and insurance benefits,” said Bhandari. “The key objective is to prevent bank defaults, ensure access to credit, and protect workers from loan sharks.”

In the discussion, NRB representative Saurabh Pokhrel expressed commitment to helping finalize the draft, while suggesting that loan recovery mechanisms be clarified further. Similarly, Anil Sharma, Executive Director of the Nepal Bankers’ Association, welcomed the initiative and pledged banks’ full cooperation for implementation.

Dr. Krishnahari Pushkar, Secretary at the Labour Ministry, stressed the urgency of passing the long-delayed procedure, noting the importance of incorporating clear loan repayment mechanisms based on past experience.

According to Joint Secretary Bhushal, Nepal has currently opened institutional foreign employment channels in 111 countries. However, many Nepalis still migrate illegally to countries not officially recognized by the government, making it difficult to track accurate numbers.

The Economic Survey 2081/82, published by the Ministry of Finance, states that 1,670 manpower agencies have been licensed to send workers abroad. The UAE remains the top destination, as it was in the previous fiscal year.

By the end of Falgun 2081, a total of 6,461,019 new labor approvals had been issued, with 93.3% male and 6.7% female recipients. Specifically, 317,063 workers (275,743 men and 41,320 women) received new labor approvals during that time.

Including renewals, the total number of labor approvals in the current fiscal year had reached 534,471 by the end of Falgun, with 88.7% male and 11.3% female.

Under the EPS system, 7,509 Nepali workers migrated to South Korea in the current fiscal year, compared to 10,855 in fiscal year 2080/81.

Share30Tweet19
CEO Tab

CEO Tab

Recommended For You

Government Suspends New Registration of Public Transport Vehicles Nationwide

by CEO Tab
May 22, 2026
0
DoTM

The Department of Transport Management has suspended the new registration of all public transport vehicles across the country. According to the department, the decision was taken in view...

Read more

Government Prioritizing Austerity Measures to Reduce Recurrent Expenditure

by CEO Tab
May 22, 2026
0
Finance_Ministry

The Ministry of Finance (MoF) has stated that the government is focusing on implementing austerity measures aimed at reducing the size of recurrent expenditure. Speaking at a meeting...

Read more

Over 74,000 Nepalis Obtained Foreign Employment Permits in Baisakh

by CEO Tab
May 22, 2026
0
Ten thousand foreign workers in Nepal, highest from China

The trend of Nepalis seeking employment abroad continued strongly in Baisakh (mid-April to mid-May), with 74,429 individuals receiving labour permits during the month, according to the Department of...

Read more

Nepal Has Over 144,000 Metric Tons of Chemical Fertilizers in Stock, Ministry Says

by CEO Tab
May 22, 2026
0
40,000 metric tonnes of fertilizer procured from China yet to arrive

The Ministry of Agriculture, Forest and Environment has announced that Nepal currently has 144,803.25 metric tons of chemical fertilizers in stock. Chief of the Agricultural Development Division and...

Read more

Buddha Air Suspends Nepalgunj–Pokhara Direct Flights Temporarily

by CEO Tab
May 20, 2026
0
Buddha Air holds 67 percent market

Buddha Air has temporarily suspended its direct flights between Nepalgunj and Pokhara, a service that had been operating for nearly five years. According to Buddha Air’s Nepalgunj Station...

Read more
Next Post
PPMO blacklists seven construction companies

Four Construction Companies Blacklisted by Public Procurement Monitoring Office

Browse by Category

  • Corporate
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • International
  • Major Story
  • Next Gen
  • Opinion
  • Prime News
  • Special Report
  • Tete – A – Tete

EDITOR

Manish Raj Poudel
info@ceotab.com
9841317747


PUBLISHED BY

Welcome Group
www.welcomeadnepal.com

Publisher

www.ceotab.com is a premium news portal being run by Welcome Group. The website features quality business/economic news contents,  in-depth profiles of companies, stories of struggle and success of entrepreneurs, articles that assess various dimensions of  the commerce, trade and economy.

Editor

Manish Raj Poudel

info@ceotab.com

9841317747

Sub-Editor

Riza Poudel

poudelriza@gmail.com

Archives

© 2023 CEO Tab. All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Prime News
  • International Market
  • Special Report
  • Corporate
  • Opinion
  • Next Gen
  • Entertainment

© 2023 CEO Tab. All rights reserved.